Whine Tasting

The fam and I went to eat and play at ChickFilthe other day (or "Chickila" as Titus calls it.) Now, when we go to "Chickila," we like to milk it for all its worth. By that, I mean we go around 4/4:30 in the afternoon and take advantage of the free play both before and after we eat dinner there. Anyway, there was a family of at least 3 little girls there, and this one girl (probably about 2-3 years old) was sooooooo whiny. We deal with plenty of whine here at our house, believe me...but there's just something different about a whine coming from a little girl. Aside from the whining, this family of girls along with the girlfriend(s) they were with were squealing and screaming their little hearts out. Derek and I kept looking at each other, and I finally said, "You think the whining is bad at our house...Can you imagine if we had THREE GIRLS!!!???"

Anyway, it got me thinking...What if God could hear our whiny thoughts as adults. And that is obviously a silly "question," because OBVIOUSLY God can hear our thoughts!!!! I was so struck by the fact that I am always soooooooo annoyed when our kids whine (and some days, it seems like that is every single time they open their mouths!) But what about me?? What would I sound like to those around me if my thoughts were audible? (And what do I sound like to Jesus?)

Well, it probably sounds a lot like my kids:

"Why??????"

"I don't WANT to!!!!!"

"PlleeeeEEEEEAAaase!!"

"Nonononononono"

"But I WANT it."

Pretty bad when I think about hearing those thoughts come out of MY head!!

Derek and I are striving to teach our children patience, humility, compassion, and generosity, among many other things. Maybe I should try teaching myself some of those!

Jude 16 talks about the grumblers, complainers, walking according to their own lusts. I often tell Justus and Titus, "The world doesn't revolve around you." But really...sometimes it does!! We have to make a conscious effort as parents to teach our kids contentment. And we, as adults, have to work hard to avoid being conformed to this world. (Rom. 12:2) So much of the world today is focused on memememe. We are often told to take time for ourselves, to pamper ourselves, to "just do something for YOU today." Seriously??!! I think everyone is pretty much looking out for #1 already!

Lord, teach me humility. May I see the world through Your eyes, and may I learn to do all things without complaining (Philippians 2:14.)

This was my devotion the other day from Sarah Young's Jesus Calling:

Remember that joy is not dependent on your circumstances. Some of the world's most miserable people are those whose circumstances seem the most enviable...True Joy is a by-product of living in My Presence. Therefore, you can experience it in palaces, in prisons...anywhere.

Do not judge a day as devoid of Joy just because it contains difficulties. Instead, concentrate on communication with Me.

1 Chronicles 16:27 says, "Honor and majesty are before Him; Strength and gladness are in HIS place."

And today's devotional from Sarah Young's book:

Accept each day just as it comes to you, remembering that I am sovereign over your life. Rejoice in this day that I have made, trusting that I am abundantly present in it. Instead of regretting or resenting the way things are, thank Me in all circumstances.

Comments

Dawn said…
Anna~
I am really enjoying reading your blog. What a sweet family. We miss seeing you guys. Soon. Thanks for recommending (with Julie & Taylor) Jesus Calling. God has used in many times to speak to me.
Love the pic's of your precious boys. You're a great mom!
Blessings-Dawn

Popular posts from this blog

Raising Real Men, part 6

Raising Real Men

Raising Real Men, Part 4