When God speaks

Just yesterday, I drew a line that I thought represented my walk with the Lord in my journal:


I was discouraged and sick of the peaks and valleys. I was feeling like I couldn't "do it all." How will I ever have a consistent quiet time?? How will I excel in all areas at once? Am I just lazy and not disciplined enough? God gave me these children, God blessed my husband with this job and his long hours, and God gave me the desire to homeschool/be a stay at home mom, and He knows how tired it all makes me. Are these excuses? My hunger and thirst is there...I long to be with Him and know Him more. How can I do it all???

Today, I read this in Jesus Calling, by Sarah Young:
"I am leading you along the high road, but there are descents as well as ascents. In the distance you see snow-covered peaks glistening in brilliant sunlight. Your longing to reach those peaks is good, but you must not take shortcuts...Let the heights beckon you onward, but stay close to Me...Disruptions to your routine highlight your dependence on Me...I have lovingly planned every inch of the way..."

God is good, isn't He?? He does speak to us. He encourages us, He will never leave us or forsake us. That is a promise.

Another promise is this: James 4:8, "Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you."

I heard an analogy once about having a consistent quiet time. The speaker was comparing it to being a disciplined runner. Sometimes, a runner gets injured, sick, or falls off the wagon for one reason or another. It is extremely difficult, at times, for the runner to begin running again. Often, the road ahead seems too difficult to face. The runner might feel like they have so far to go just to get back to where they were when they fell off the wagon. The task before them is daunting.

That's how it can seem when we "fall off the wagon" of having a consistent quiet time. How will we ever get back there? Where do we begin again?? What do I read today? I feel like I'm starting from ground zero!!

Well, the point of the analogy was this: In order for a runner to begin again...to get back on the wagon, they simply have to put on their running shoes and run a little bit. The fire will be lit in them very quickly, and the passion will return.

It's just like that with our quiet time. As Sarah Young so eloquently puts it, "disruptions to your routine" happen often. The last part of that statement was the best. Those disruptions "highlight your dependence on Me." That's the coolest part. Not only do we all have disruptions, but it is for our good. We need to be reminded that we can't do this on our own. We can't earn our salvation. We need Him.

Amos 5:6 says, "Seek the LORD and live!!" Obviously, this word live doesn't just mean to have breath and a pulse. Plenty of people have that and aren't seeking the Lord. To live means so much more. "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing." (one of our favorite Seeds Family Worship songs, Ps. 34:10)

So if you are like me and have fallen off the quiet time wagon, just climb back in, start reading, and hear God speak to you. Your passion, your desire, and your NEED for this time will be evident and overwhelming. Give it time, be disciplined, and lean on Him.

If you've been around my blog for very long, you know I love Jesus Calling. God speaks to me (and so many others) through that book with amazing truths and promises from His Word. Start there and see where the Lord takes you. I also receive so much inspiration and encouragement from Catherine Martin. She has a ministry called "Quiet time ministries," and it's awesome.

Remember this: Philippians 3:14, "I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Verses 12 and 13 remind us that we are not perfect, but we can forget what is behind (because HE HAS!) and reach forward to the things ahead!!

Comments

kathryn said…
This reminds me of a devotion on Girlfriends of God - http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/girlfriends/girlfriends-in-god-jan-12-2012.html

Although it is relating to depression, I really liked this verse:
Isaiah 45:3 is a compelling verse, “I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, who summons you by name.”
Any time the word, “LORD” is capitalized, it means “Father” or “Dearest Daddy.” This verse indicates that our Father has gone before us and, in every dark moment or painful circumstance, has buried a treasure or stored a secret. The only way we can find the treasure or learn the secret is to pass through that darkness. Some things cannot be learned in the light.

A good reminder that He is there ALWAYS! :)
Great post!
Unknown said…
Anna,
I love that the days when I say to myself, "I need to catch up with those Frye's and I go perusing on your blog, the Lord speaks!" I know we have talked about this before and I to have wondered all of those same things as you wrote about. Thank you for this great reminder that we just need to press on, we just need to keep getting up and pushing forward. Like you said one time even if it is just a quick time in Jesus Calling standing in the kitchen making whatever meal, fixing whatever problem or holding whichever child may be crying He will meet us anywhere and speak to our hearts. Great word Anna. I know you are ministering to so many who visit your blog. You just did to me so thanks. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Raising Real Men

Raising Real Men, part 6

Raising Real Men, Part 4